Steps Healthcare, George Street, Hove
Nail surgery involves the either the permanent or temporary removal of either one or both sides of a nail or the total removal of a nail. This is known as partial or total nail avulsion. Once the nail is removed under a local anaesthetic, a chemical called phenol is used to kill off the nail cells that caused that part of the nail to grow. If, however, we remove the nail to aid it to grow healthier or a better shape we do not use phenol to allow the nail to regrow.
Phenolization is highly successful with a 99% success rate.
What conditions can benefit from Nail surgery?
- Ingrown Toenails
- Fungal Infected Toenails
- Deformed Toenails
- Thick Toenails
- Painful Toenails
Is it painful?
Nail surgery is carried out painlessly under local anaesthetic. This is achieved by using an anaesthetic injection in the toe.
What does it involve?
An assessment is required to check if a patient is suitable for nail surgery. The procedure itself takes less than half an hour once the necessary paperwork has been completed. You can choose whether you lay flat or are sitting up whilst the procedure is carried out. You can usually go back to work the day afterwards. You simply need to remember to keep your toe protected. The dressings and toe will need to be kept dry until the wound has fully healed.
How long does it take to heal?
The nail usually heals up over a period of 4 – 6 weeks if you follow all the advice given to you. Over this period, we see you for re-dressings to ensure everything is healing well.
Advice before your appointment
- Remember to have something small to eat before your appointment.
- The procedure will last approximately 1 hour.
- Please bring some loose shoes or sandals with you for your own comfort.
- Please arrange some form of transport home. You should not plan on driving yourself or walking.
- Plan the day so you can go home and rest with your feet up.
- You will have your first redressing appointment a few days after the surgery. It is essential that you attend all re-dressings.
Book an appointment
Call us on 01273 567881 or email email@example.com to book an appointment.
Address: 31 George Street, Hove BN3 3YB
Phone: 01273 567881